Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Measurement: Friend or Foe?

It seems that the world is becoming obsessed with measurement. We are measuring steps, heart rate, calories, sleep—you name it and there is a device to measure it. People are going to waste a lot of time and money on measurement because, for many, it won’t change a thing. It seems that everyone believes the old adage “What gets measured gets done.” Of course that is wrong. Just because my Fitbit measures my steps each day does not cause me to walk 10,000 steps. Just because I weigh myself every day does not mean that I have met my weight goal. As a matter of fact, I have lost almost no weight even though I have had a Fitbit scale for over a year. This may sound strange coming from someone who has helped managers and executives focus time and effort on measuring all sorts of variables in business. However, it is true, and there is a very clear reason as to why. I believe a more appropriate adage is, “What gets measured improves the chances of getting done.” more

No comments: